⅔ cup warm water
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon canola oil1
¼ cups bread flour, plus more for if needed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
2. Meanwhile, sift the bread flour, salt and baking soda together. Add the yeast mixture to the dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula. If the dough looks sticky, add 1 additional tablespoon of flour at a time until it is less sticky.
3. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth. Cover the dough with a damp kitchen towel and let the dough rest until it has doubled in size, 1½ to 2 hours. Punch the dough down to flatten it.
4. Portion the dough into balls that are 2 inches in diameter and let rest for 5 minutes. Flatten each ball into a disk 3 inches in diameter.
5. Fill the buns with your filling of choice (see below) and wrap by gathering the edge and twisting slightly. Cover with a damp kitchen towel to keep the bao from drying out.
6. Place the buns in a steamer lined with parchment paper and steam until the buns have expanded, 7 to 9 minutes. Serve.
Psychic Hearts Cocktail
1oz Midori Melon Liqueur
1/2oz Blue Curaçao
1oz Pineapple Juice
1oz White Rum or Coconut Rum
2 dashes Orange Bitters (optional)
First, mix the 1/2oz water and 1/2oz blue curaçao in a small glass or jigger and stir. Next, do the same with the pineapple juice and rum in a separate glass. In your serving glass, add grenadine and bitters. Then fill the glass with crushed ice. Next you will be slowly pouring the other ingredients in just the right order to get the layering effect! Add the Midori, pouring slowly. Then the blue curaçao. Add lastly, the rum and pineapple mixture. Add a straw and enjoy!
You may want to stir it all together before you drink, but get your pretty picture first!